Monday, February 21, 2011

Catch Up: FALL!

FALL: Packed full of work, but much more manageable since we had an entire semester (unlike summer when we had 4 weeks for 2 classes, 6 weeks for pharmacology, and 4 weeks for another set of classes...all meshed together. I'm not even sure what happened in summer. I got to Fall semester and felt like a survivor...of some terrible tragedy or something) In between 15 credits, 20 hours of clinic a week (...I am exerting self control to not discuss clinic. I'll just say that one was particularly difficult, but not in the good way), Ryan and I found time to pick apples and pumpkins at a local farm, make ourselves Thanksgiving dinner, and watch a movie or two in a theater (tickets are 10 bucks for the early showing?? Geez.).

My handsome husband and his awesome sunglasses.
RIP Awesome Sunglasses. We miss you.
The best part of fall semester was probably Labor and Delivery. I can definitely see myself in that area of nursing. I loved the babies, the process, the joy, the relief, the overall sense of accomplishment (well, more for the mothers than for me) of that rotation. It seems that in a lot of areas of nursing, you just work with the patient that is assigned to you for a little while, but you don't always see the full picture and the outcomes (though sometimes it might be better). However, in L&D there is a beginning, middle, and end...and more often than not, it is a happy ending. I love it!

It was very windy, excuse the horn coming out of my head.
Check out my broken pinky finger. 
We got a visit from my brother, sister in law, and their adorable toddler in October! We went to NYC, Statue of Liberty, NJ, and PA (to see our little apartment). I was a blast to hang out for a couple days! Ok, that was the one of the best parts of the fall. I just love my sibling's kids...I want to squeeze them and take them home.

We, also, were able to go down to Baltimore to meet Ryan's dad while he was on business. We walked around the city, ate at Hard Rock, and just enjoyed the company. It was quick but fun...until we hit a deer on the way home (around 2 am maybe?). Luckily, I have some serious race car driving skills, and I swerved just enough so there was little damage to the car (we only lost a side mirror, not bad right?! The deer had large antlers even!).
The Good
(Terrible quality, I didn't realize our new point and shoot was on some weird mode)

The Bad.
We did not hit the deer, the deer hit us.  You can guess what the red is...
Our last visit was with a couple friends from Boise. They were in Ohio and we met them half way - in Pittsburg. We went to a science museum that boasted entrance into a retired government submarine parked in the adjacent river. I certainly would not vacation in one, but it was amazing to see the smallness and efficiency of the rooms, hallways, and bathrooms, and offices. The day earlier, we wandered around the city, went to a a local spot to catch a show (which reminded me, no...everyone..the importance of a good deodorant), and ate at a terrible Italian restaurant that we are sure was haunted. If I had died in a restaurant that had tasteless pesto pasta that was only edible with 60 oz of Parmesan cheese poured on top, I might haunt the place too. It's just a theory, though. Anyway, it had been a while since we had hung out with any old friends and it was clearly good for our souls.

Somewhere in the midst of all that stuff and school, Fall disappeared leaving only a couple pictures, some Dean's List grades, and an old calendar behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment