Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Nursing School, Part I

I have to apologize in advance for the quality of my writing. Right now, it's for the sake of my grade on Friday's test.

Two weeks ago, I drove through open yellow fields, dark wooded areas, and old housing developments to an unfamiliar campus. I had been there before, but only for an interview and to pay some bills. This time, I was there to begin my life as a Student Nurse. Awkwardly, I sat down with my backpack next to me while I waited for more people to arrive to this empty auditorium. Close to 20 minutes later, all the seats tucked behind the tables were filled and the hall buzzed with excited voices. With 42 people in the class, we all exchanged names twenty times, promising to remember each other's by the end of the first semester, at least... We followed outline for the day which included lunch, nursing clubs, faculty introductions, and 150 other things and finally finished at 4:30pm. By the end of the day, I was bombarded with so many silly specifics of the university and protocols, I was sure of only one thing - it was going to be strenuous.

Today, I have finished two tests, made at least a handful of friends, learned where the copier and the best printer is hiding, figured out where the best parking spots are located (depending on day), realized my teacher's personalities and how they figure into their teaching and tests (psychology, anyone?), and where to get all my lecture notes online (I would like to make my own version of Blackboard, Angel, whatever. It would be super organized and user-friendly. Thank you very much).  I have to say that although a bit overwhelming, it has been enjoyable. For once in my education, I have not been dreading what I have to learn. I might dread the test or what I think the test will be, but so far I have not felt uninterested! Can I get a hallelujah?! Seriously people, this is a miracle. I can learn whatever you want me to, but when it comes to what I want to learn - you'll get 100%. 

However, this is just the beginning... So in a couple months when I'm whining and crying about my life, please gently (or not) remind me of my undying optimism. 

Thank you in advance.

Part II continues on a day when I don't have to study like a mad woman.

PS. Should I check for grammar and spelling errors? Maybe. Will I tonight? Nope. Will I during Part II? Yes, and I probably will grieve a bit. Ah well.




No comments:

Post a Comment